- Expanded the boundaries of what women could want, such as high-powered careers, children, sexual freedom, political power — or all four at once.
- The public is now aware of research showing that the staggeringly high percentage of women murder victims have been murdered by husbands, boyfriend, relatives, or acquaintances. Nearly half of these women are killed when they tried to leave the man.
- Awareness that women are endangered by other women. Worldwide, “token torturers” [Mary Daly’s phrase] genitally mutilate girl children, banish their incestuously abused daughters — and not the abusive men who perpetrate it.
- Awareness that women shame each other into obedience [e.g. women barter commitment for security so sexual ‘promiscuity’ cheapens her value – Alma]
- Male family violence, child abuse, and child sex abuse are being recognized as crimes by police, courts and religions.
Source: Phyllis Chesler